Would you believe me if I told you...
my husband and I had this dish once a week for the first year we were married? It's delightful. I used to make the cornbread from scratch and melt butter on the top... but once we got into the whole CrossFit thing and macros, I just couldn't justify the massive amount of carbs this dish was.
BUT THEN. I was cruising the isles at my local grocery store (sometimes I do that in the evenings when it's basically empty. It's very therapeutic.) and stumbled across KODIAK CAKE CORN BREAD MIX?!?!?! WHAT! Some tears may have been shed. It's true.
So I decided to take a stab at a MakeitMacro version of this awesome dish! It turned out pretty awesome! Each serving is only 381 Calories! Boooyaahhh.
For the filling:
- 1 lb lean ground beef (I use 90/10)
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup Salsa
- 1/3 cup mild cheddar cheese
- 90g corn
- 1/2 cup black beans
For the cornbread topping:
- 100g Kodiak Corn Bread Mix
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup fairlife skim milk
- Preheat Oven to 350
- Brown the meat, drain, then throw back in the pan and add corn, onions, beans and salsa.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Put in greased 9x9 pan and top with cheese
- Mix cornbread mix with the egg and the milk, then pour on top of meat mixture.
- Bake 15-17 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean*
*note, the Kodiak mix is a little different than your standard and doesn't brown on the top. Keep an eye on it so it doesn't bake too long and dry out!
Macros per serving (the pan makes 4)
381 CAL 35P/33C/12F
I usually give myself two servings of this because I have no self control, but I bet this would be AMAZING as a mealprep option! Enjoy, fam!